Kayaking 101: Cruising Flatwater
Designed for the first-time paddler, this course provides the essential strokes and maneuvers that build the foundation for advanced kayaking. Our ACA-certified instructor will introduce you to the different types of boats available, how to choose the proper kayak, the basics of paddling and turning, and how to get back on the boat if it flips. At the end of this course you will have the confidence and skills to pursue their kayaking dreams.
You will learn:
- How to properly fit and adjust your kayak
- How to properly grip and control your paddle
- Understanding necessary safety considerations
- How to gracefully enter and exit your kayak from shore
- How to perform basic strokes and maneuvers
- Conducting assisted and self-rescue
What should I wear?
Even if the air is warm the water can still be chilly. Plan accordingly, especially in late fall and early spring.
What should I bring?
When out on the water staying hydrated and protected from the sun is a MUST!
- Water bottle
- Sunglasses with a retention strap
- Dry bag for phone/wallet/keys
- Required medications
- River shoes (shoes that can get wet, smelly, and will stay on)
Policy Note: We are always excited to get our customers outside and enjoying our XP Academy course offerings. Each course is tailored made for your specific needs and goals for the sport. Since we offer private/small group instruction, our instructors' schedules are busy. Please be considerate of their schedule and make sure you arrive for your course on time. Course payments are non-refundable. Your instructors will work to reschedule your course if a cancellation is made at least 48 hours in advance of your scheduled course time.